Marc Armitage: Short Profile
Marc Armitage is an independent consultant, researcher and writer in children’s play and the wider social world of children and young people (0-19 years). He began his professional career as a playworker in the early 1980s with Hull Community Playschemes Association and since then has worked as a field playworker, an adventure playground worker, a double decker playbus worker, and a local authority play development officer.
Marc became freelance in 1989 using the name PLAYPEOPLE - taking play seriously and is now regularly contracted by departments of central and local government, universities and research groups, schools, play organisations and individual settings throughout the European Union and Scandinavian countries. He delivers a variety of projects including consultancy, training, independent evaluations, research and development work.
Marc is a regular speaker to conference and seminar events around the world and has been published in magazine articles, periodicals, journals and books in English, Swedish and Dutch. He is also is a member of the Society for the Study of Childhood in the Past, the History of Education Society and the Folklore Society.
Recent projects include:
Project 63 ... Marc is working with seventeen primary schools on this year’s School Play Development Programme which runs between September 2011 right up to June 2012. There are eighteen schools in the programme this year in Wrexham, Gwynedd, Conwy and Anglesey (all in North Wales), Richmond (London) and York (Yorkshire) mentoring them in making improvements to their playgrounds, playtimes, supervision patterns, policy and procedures ... and yes! it is a big project. New
- More than just flapping a Parachute ... a series of training days in the fun and the technical aspects of running co-operative New Games sessions. Days held already held and coming up in the new year include Bleanau Gwent and Rhondda Cynon Taff (both South Wales), Bristol and London (England) and Dublin (Ireland). Twelve dates in planning for later in 2012. New
Recent speaking engagements include:
- ‘Freedom to Play: Embrace the Risk’ at the annual conference of South Tipperary County Childcare Committee (Ireland) at Clomnel. New
- ‘International Comparisons in working with Children’ at the annual conference of Offaly County Childcare Committee (Ireland) at Tullamore. New
- ‘Auditing the Space between your Ears’ at the annual Playworkers Forum (Wales) near Swansea.
Projects and Services Marc delivers include:
- Consultancy, Advice & Support
- Training and Education
- Independent Reviews & Evaluations
- Play Service & Playground Audits
- Speaking engagements
- Research & Development work
- Services 0-19 years